Monday, May 5, 2008

Iron Man


I saw it Friday night. Enjoyed it. I like Robert Downey, Jr.'s acting. I maintain that there was no chemistry between him and Gwenyth Paltrow and the almost kissing scene (which looked pretty embarrassing, I have to say) was unbuyable. I have been informed that there isn't supposed to be chemistry between Tony Stark and Pepper Potts (btw, what brainiac came up with that name?), because they can never be together since he's an irresponsible playboy, and she's the glue holding his world together. Which also wasn't quite so obvious to me - the glue part, that is. He seemed capable to me. He was never going to have his one night stand's suit dry cleaned, but he could have. That's apparently just Pepper's job. Man, how I would hate her job.

The other Iron Man, you know, the triathalon? I know someone who did one. (Edit 5-6: Okay, it was "just" a triathalon, not the Iron Man. And I'm not freaked out so much today. Still worried if I go biking with dude, I'm going to fall over after 6 blocks and skin my knee.) It's freaking me out! If there was an Iron Man for couch sitting, chips and salsa eating and napping, I could qualify. I'm hanging out with a triathalete, and I thought I was going to pass out running a block and a half for my bus one day last week. Crap. I'm gonna have to exercise.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just explaining the IM/Potts relationship in text:

I think originally, Pepper Potts and Happy Hogan were created to sort of give Stark's company a humanizing element. They were like Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane if Lois wasn't always in Luthor's grill and needing to be bailed out.

Pepper would look at Tony Stark dreamily and wish SHE could be the sort of starlet he'd notice. Happy would marvel at how cool it must be to be Tony Stark.

In the film, Happy is more of a yes man/driver/body guard/gofer but Pepper has been elevated by leaps and bounds.

Chemistry is a tough word to use because it's Gwyneth Paltrow who sorts of just shuffles across your screen and blinks at you alot while fixing your tie or braking a heel.

The idea here is that Tony Stark can have anything or any woman he wants but he can't remember his SSN or Iron a shirt. He can't boil water for a hot dog or name a single song by Prince. he can date Carmen Elektra and Heidi Klumm in the same night, while building a super robot but he can't repair the inseam in a pair of jeans.

This is what Pepper is for. She is there to be the employee who makes it possible for Tony Stark to actually live. She's the super assistant and sometimes this is much needed for super geniuses. She's also hot, which Tony notices and has a brain and a heart, which Tony notices but becuase of these reasons, he can never actually take the relationship any further.

Pepper Potts is a real woman and Tony Stark is a child and all he knows how to do is be a selfish little boy and if he blows it with Pepper, he's dead.

It's the classic "Friends don't F$@k Friends" scenario.

We need our close friends too much in our lives to mess it up by "going there".

It didn't burn up the screen but the screen did warm up and there was a bit of smoke. Then people had to get back to blowing stuff up.